I love my already cooked quinoa and lentils from Trader Joe’s . I always have a package of each in the fridge/freezer for emergencies. Tonight, I decided to use them and make a new salad. I feel a little bit stressed lately with all the packing and moving to a new home, so I wanted something crunchy and with lots of textures. I added walnuts to the mixture, then some crunchy green celery, green onions and lots of spices.
I had a little bowl for dinner and fell in love with the taste and the texture of the salad. I think I liked the most the ginger flavor, it gives the salad an exotic, elegant taste.
First you need some cooked quinoa. If you don’t have access to Trader Joe’s to buy it already cooked like this one:
You can always cook it at home. Just use 3 parts water to 1 parts quinoa and boil it on medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed. Voila!
Then, you will need lentils. I used this one :
Again, if you cannot buy the already cooked ones, you can make your own. Use 3 cups of water for every cup of lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender but not mushy. The best way to check if they are done is to taste them.
Then you will need few green onions, some celery, spices, lime juice and lime zest, vinegar, and some olive oil.
Mix everything together and refrigerate for 30 minutes, so the ingredients would get acquainted. Then, enjoy, my friends, and let me know if you liked it or not!
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (from 1 cup raw quinoa)
- 2 cups cooked French lentils (from ¾ cup raw lentils)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 green onions
- 1-2 limes(zest and juice)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dried mediterranean herb mix (e.g. rosemary, oregano, marjoram, basil, tarragon)
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa.
- Cook the lentils.
- Chop the onions.
- Chop the celery
- Chop the walnuts coarsely
- Add salt and pepper, the herb mix, garlic powder, ginger powder, lime zest.
- Add lime juice, vinegar and oil.
- Mix well and serve chilled.