This apple pie, Romanian style recipe reminds me of the apple pie I grew up with. This very „cakey” dough has apples in the middle, tossed in cinnamon and sugar. The pie is dusted with powder sugar, cut in squares and served with coffee or tea. Delicious!
Recipe at the bottom of the page. Enjoy!
For this recipe I used:
organic whole milk
- 500g/2⅕ cups butter
- 250 g/ 1¼ cups sugar
- 500 g/4 cups flour
- 10 g/1 tsp baking powder
- 125 ml/1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 kg apples(7-8 medium apples)
- 3-4 Tbsp sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp butter to cook the apples
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1tsp cinnamon
- powder sugar to dust the pie
- Preheat the oven to 320F.
- Melt the butter together with sugar on a double boiler, medium heat on the stove.
- Add the milk and keep mixing until the sugar is melted completely. Remove from the stove.
- Add eggs, vanilla, flour and baking powder and mix to incorporate everything well.
- Split the dough in half and pour one part of the mixture in a 9X13 baking pan. Bake it for 20 minutes at 160C or 320F.
- Meanwhile shred the apples and cook them in butter with some sugar and cinnamon until the juices reduce. Remove the apples from the stove and let them cool.
- When the first layer of pie is baked, remove it from the oven and add the apples spreading them over the entire surface.
- Increase the oven temperature to 165C or 330F.
- Pour over the other half of the dough and return the pan to the oven.
- Bake it for another 45 minutes.
- Let the pie cool down. Dust the pie with powder sugar and cut it in squares.
- Goes well with coffee or tea.